Monday, May 7, 2012

Are you standing still or moving on?


 Sometimes it seems like life is a revolving circle just full of routine, but there is so much that happens that makes me wonder. After I graduated high school, I applied for a college, moved away from home, thought I had it altogether.. then it all fell apart so quickly and I saw those around me kept moving forward- why did it feel like I was standing still?
            Sometimes I find that it is very easy to be envious of others when our life doesn’t seem as brightly shining. I remember seeing some of the people I had gone to school with during all of my school years and I had wished that I could have had the same opportunities as they did. Sometimes I wonder what God really had in store for me, what was/is my true purpose? I am almost 26- not done with school yet, have no career, my children are growing up so fast, I am divorced, haven’t ‘traveled’ the world.. the list really could go on. I know that I want to be a mother more than anything and that has made me happier than anything else in life. I have went through experiences that most of them haven’t yet.. and even when they’ve had children I will still have one that is five years older than theirs. I’ve been there and done that as a parent, I’ve been there and done that as a wife… but I never got to experience me. I never got to find who I was. There are times when I look through Facebook and browse my friends list and see what others have been able to accomplish in their lives. Reading about all the exciting things that other’s have gotten to do makes me want to de-friend them because I do not want to have those envious feelings. Maybe some people would be envious of me and my life, I don’t know and I’m not sure why.
            Since I have moved I continue to think about ‘what life could have been like.’ What would I be doing if I was still back home? I put the scenario in my head, but doing so makes me feel like I think the whole world stops because of a choice that I made. I still keep in contact with people and I know some of the things that are going on and it makes me wonder if I am just standing still. I feel as though I do not move on as the times move on, I feel as though I want the world to stand still until I truly make the choices in my life that I am supposed to. I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing anymore, I have said a thousand times to myself that I should change my major because I probably won’t be able to find a job. After putting all the hard work and money into my field though it seems hard to just change something. But where am I supposed to be going?
            I know that the place I think I could work at or the house I think I could pay for are all scenarios that I have created in my head because I feel that the world is at a standstill. Sometimes I wish life could be like that movie ‘Pause’ with Adam Sandler because then we could have the ability to change some things around. I don’t mind making mistakes but sometimes I get tired of feeling like I’m running around in circles not knowing where I am supposed to be. I don’t think I know how to truly move on from things, I just stand still and follow. I wish I was as strong as I pretend I am. Being physically strong and mentally strong are two different things.. There are also many different levels as well. I think I am mentally strong, but in different areas.

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are saying. I stopped adding people from high school on FB because it was too depressing to see their trips around the world, the fun parties they went to with friends and everything in between. I wouldn't trade the path I chose, but sometimes I wonder ... was it the right one? Just because you aren't where you pictured yourself to be doesn't mean you are standing still. Your kids are proof of that. Moving to Florida is proof of that. You are working your way towards the life you are suppose to have, it might just take you longer to get there than you think it should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girls, you have no idea. I go to the parties, I have traveled all over, I've completed my Master's and have the career of someone well into their 30's-40's....and I envy YOU! You have someone to kiss you goodnight every night, you have kids who love you no matter what, and you always know what tomorrow will bring. Believe me, you are not standing still- you've accomplished what so many of us hope to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison- Thanks for the words, sometimes you need to hear things like that from other people to 'justify' your life.
    Ashley- I can see from your point of view- but just because there is someone to kiss every night doesn't mean there isn't the fights every other day.. and with kids comes its own challenges (although i wouldn't trade a moment of it). I can see how some would envy that, but I def. envy you as well. Maybe that's the lesson behind it all- we all envy what others have because we will never know what it is like, it's better to dream about it then to know it can never exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, this blog really caught my attention because 36 years ago I got married on May 7th. Wow, 36th anniversary...not to be because I found myself divorced after only 6 years with a new baby in my arms. My life was falling apart and yet unknowingly my life was just starting. Through all the hard and rough places I did not think I was moving forward...just getting by...just standing still. It takes time...sometimes years to look back and see that you were never standing still but pushed forward because that is what life does. Along the way you get to know more of who you are and if you are blessed with a wonderful child like I have (and I know you are with your 2) then you are pulled along through their life and their experiences. You add them to your own. The other child I always dreamed I would have came in the form of a wonderful son in law! Some dreams you put away because they are not to be, but things you never dreamed of fill you in ways you would not have imagined...and you are pulled forward in life. You aren't standing still Jamie...you just need some time to look back and realize the things that did fill your life and did make you happy. Maybe it wasn't the glorious plans you hoped for your life, but you found more of yourself and how you fit into lives of others around you...and you find that you are better than before...and you are happy! And so am I!

    ReplyDelete