Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lesson of the Day


The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” Proverbs 9: 10





Some of the smartest choices in life are the hardest ones to make. It is often harder to think before speaking than to think after speaking.
“Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips and spread slander is a fool. Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues.” Proverbs 10:18-19
Recently for class I had to read the Book of Proverbs, now I took a new testament class and actually enjoyed it more than I thought, I also learned a lot more. Not to say that I still do not have questions or doubts, but I know that everyone does. Reading the old testament is not something I prefer, but I did enjoy this book. I am not sure why I thought this particular verse was an important one to remember, but I know that I am not perfect. I know that I say and do things that sometimes I probably should not, however it is very hard to not want to speak my mind. Opinions are merely thoughts that probably do not need to be said most of the time. Just because we speak untruths about someone or have an enumerated amount of ‘hate’ or disgust does not mean that it is going to benefit us if we speak these words. Holding our tongue is one of the greatest learning lessons of life. We do not need to bring someone else down just because we become unhappy with who we are, we need to bolster ourselves by becoming closer to God. At times when you feel as though you are alone, sometimes becoming closer to God is what is needed and wanted, have you ever thought that God knew that you would be weak and alone in those futile moments, he intended for it, so you would ask Him for help.







“Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.” Proverbs 10:12 What happens when we hate something or someone? Does anything good ever come from that? We feel awful because we constantly remind ourselves why we have this hate and disgust which makes our attitude negative. This in turn makes those around us negative as well. It makes God unhappy with who we are because of the way we are behaving. Have we not learned anything? Hatred does nothing for no one. Obviously I am not one to speak about this, but I am trying to learn about this. I know that I have filled myself with hate because it felt like the only thing to do at the time. Love can cover anything, if we fill ourselves with love it is amazing what can come from that. One question is if we have ‘tormented’ those around us because of the hate we let fill our bodies, the negative attitude that filtered outward, is it possible for the love to return between two people? This may sound confusing, but there are times when we have been negative and people have not wanted to be around us anymore, losing the love they once had for us, is that love able to be fixed if only one party changes? I would like to think that Love for anyone can change everything. If we choose to be filled with love then I think that love would filter more so than the hate did. Like a smile being contagious I think spreading love would be contagious as well. Who doesn’t love to be loved, cuddled, hugged? We all love to feel this.
“Be sure of this: The wicked will not go unpunished, but those who are righteous will go free.” Proverbs 11:21
I have been wanting to get into a bible class somewhere because I think I have a lot I would want to discuss and talk to with people, but unfortunately I have not been able to get the opportunity to start going to one. I want to learn more about the bible and I want to learn more about following in the footsteps of someone who did no wrong. I know that I could never live the same way, but I can definitely try to model my life after Him and then hope that my children would follow in my footsteps as well. I want to be filled with love and not hate, I want to know that I am not wicked so that I may go free. I only have one life and I know the things that I need to do. So I guess the bible lesson of the day is: instead of filling your mind with negative thoughts, think of something positive and change your mind. Tell yourself where you want it to go, do not let your mind decide how you are going to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment