Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lesson of following the right road


“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matthew 7:13
Not realizing our intended path in life sometimes prevents us from fully living in the present moment. I believe we all have a purpose in being here and I do think it is more than just being a mom- or a parent in general. Although, I have to say that God did intend for me to be a mother. I think most of the time I really take the time I have for granted because every day seems to last forever, yet the weeks and years pass by so quickly. Sometimes we do not see the paths we are crossing or the turns we are making because we are allowing life to pass us by. If we do not take the right path then the end could not turn out as well as we hoped, instead of a ‘detour’ we will get a dead end and not have the chance to find ourselves the right path.
 I know that I only have a short while with my children and then they are going to be my age; driving me to some out of state airport after my weekend visit with them. They will be having boyfriends and girlfriends and hiding secrets from me. They will no longer want me to read them a book to bed at night and I won’t get asked if I can give them another kiss. I won’t be able to walk them to the bus stop or bring them lunch at school. I won’t get the smile on their face when they see me surprise them at school or when they had a long day. They will still love me, but not the same way they do now. In their eyes, I am perfect (most of the time) and I don’t want that to end. I enjoy being their number one person they look up to, I enjoy every moment of their love. I know It will definitely go by faster than I think.
Parents serve such a great purpose in our lives and sometimes it’s not only our biological parents that play an important role, but also step parents. They are there to provide a much different emotional support system than our parents do. I think by simply not having the biological connection it allows them to nurture us in different ways. Becoming a parent was one of the happiest moments in my life, I remember every feeling and I remember every moment with my daughter (and my son as well). I hope to be able to feel those same emotions again one day when I hopefully have the opportunity to have another child.
We need to be sure that we are making most of the moments we have in life and we need to make sure that we are being observant. God made the road to him more complicated because he wanted people to reach out and intend to follow Him. If he made it easy than everyone would do it, but it’s not. It is harder to say that you follow God because most seemed ashamed with it today. I may not have all the answers, I may not understand a lot, but I do know that if God wanted me to know everything then maybe I would not want to believe. He keeps me wanting more and asking more.
Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior, and my hope is in your all day long. Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me for you, Lord, are good. Psalm 25: 4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment